Monday, September 5, 2016

Käpylä, Tampere

I'm giving this entire entry the name 'Käpylä' although as you can see from the map above I was only drawn to the area by the promise of one internal reserve space - between Aaltotie, Käpytie, Helletie and Vesitie. However, arriving at this delightful little pocket of early 20th century suburbia (see it here) I am fairly sure that there is no internal reserve in this block.

However, I think the photographs here show at least how difficult it is to be sure. Note the large rock at the back of this house, certainly making it difficult to build anything there should someone own the property. I daresay planning it (I don't know the details of the planner or the estate generally, only that it has the same name as the site of Helsinki's famed garden suburb, of which more anon)* there might have been some discussion about the uselessness of this block's interior for anything but an open public reserve. Yet this is just as likely to be a backyard - certainly I wasn't going to bother the occupants about it.


I wandered all the streets, making myself (as usual) look particularly suspicious had anyone been bothered to observe me (no-one did, as far as I could tell).

These images are just here to show that it's a delightful place, presumably worker housing; Tampere was the centre of Finland's manufacturing a century ago.

These last two images are of a central playground space which is not an IR - it's open parkland. But it's filled with the ubiquitous 'park toys'.



*There are also suburban enclaves of the same name in Kotka and Kouvola.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kabbera Central, Kelso, NSW

Look at it here.  Kelso is essentially a suburb adjoining the regional city of Bathurst but it has an identity greater than mere adjacent su...